Monday, October 25, 2010

Bone Scans Done...Finally

Travis and I had a great day in Salt Lake City and we were finally able to connect with the lady that does the bone scans for the research studies.  I think the day for us started on a high note when I woke up to a thunderstorm in the middle of the night (yes, I love thunderstorms).  Travis slept through it all.

After breakfast we checked out of our hotel and moved over to the Ronald McDonald House.  This facility is amazing and the staff is wonderful.  Travis and I went to the Discovery Gateway Children's Museum.  He had lots of fun playing with the balls and going around the mini-town.  I forgot to bring my camera, but I'm sure we'll go back.

We were finally able to connect with the lady that does all the bone scans.  He had several different scans done that are part of the research studies we signed T up for when were here earlier this month.  The research studies are different than the clinical trial we're still considering.  They put his leg in this "metal donut" that was able to take pictures of his thigh from all different angles.  His leg was barely long enough, but she was able to scan his left leg.  He did great while the "metal tunnel" went up his leg and making noise.  Then he had fun with the ultrasound of both thighs, especially the goop they put on the wand.  We then went into another room with a machine that can do a whole body scan and isolated areas.  He held really still while it went up and down scanning his entire body.  They were also able to get images of just his spine.  The lady that does the scans noticed his left femur was different than the right during the scans (we knew this from his first x-rays at Children's in Denver back in Mar 2009), so they decided to do scans of his hips/hip socket.  The right hip is more like normal and his left, well...we know that has issues. 

He did wonderful during all the scans and the lady commented that he might have been the best 3 year old to have those done.  I think he's used to x-rays by now.  Of course the promise of snacks didn't hurt the process either.  ;)

We went to The Pie Pizzeria for dinner and dessert.  We decided to eat out since he's having his MRI tomorrow and can only have clear liquids in the morning for breakfast due to the sedation.  The Ronald McDonald House does have volunteers that bring in food most every evening for the families.  They have an amazing dessert with a chocolate chip cookie on the bottom, topped by 2 scoops of ice cream and tons of whipped cream.  It was YUMMY!!! (and almost the size of his head).

When we got the dessert.

He almost finished it.   I did help him eat some, but Travis tackled most of it.  And yes, he did fall asleep tonight after all that sugar. 

T's MRI is scheduled for the afternoon, so it will probably be an evening post.  Thank you again for your prayers, thoughts, and support.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like he did great. I think its funny that he likes the goop they use during the ultrasound. Sara hates that stuff. LOL!

    I'll be looking forward to hearing from you later about how the MRI goes.

    Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a busy day. I'm glad to hear Travis did so well. Scans are just routine for him now. hmm Thinking of all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What cute pictures. Ronald Mcdonald Houses are awesome.

    We will be out of the country til next week. Good Luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete