Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Noah the NF Bear and New Friend

Shortly after Noah arrived a few weeks ago, Travis felt around Noah and commented that Noah didn't have tumors where Travis did. That got me thinking...what if we made a stuffed animal that had tumors like Travis and a leg length discrepancy too. This would be something Travis could identify with even more. Travis really loves cats right now and commented at some point in time that it would be cool if Noah was a cat.
Barrett, Travis, and Nolan with Noah
I learned that Noah's tumors were ping pong balls and bought some to include in the personalized stuffed animal for Travis (and mom/brothers/dad). I went to a local Build-a-Bear a few weeks ago and spoke with a wonderful employee. She was more than willing to help out by shortening the right legs, making the left leg turn out like T's and adding in the ping pong balls where T has his plexiform. The cat and bear remained in hiding until Noah moved to the next family.
Travis' letter to go in the binder with Noah.
Travis enjoyed his visit from Noah the NF Awareness bear. I received word on Monday of Noah's next location (actually a friend of ours) and Noah went off in the mail today. I cried a little as I gave him his last hug and placed him in the box, yet the surprise coming for T this afternoon was worth it. I contacted a friend to help with the letter to come in the box that these animals were from Noah (we told T that Noah would find out T's issues and pass the info along to a "friend"). The letter was perfect, exactly the words for the feelings I was having! Here's what was waiting for Travis after school...
New friends for Travis and our family.
Click to enlarge to read the letter.
Travis LOVES the cat and having the bear around too. Nolan and Barrett were pretty excited for Travis and our family. Travis named the cat "Blackie" and we're still working on a name for the bear.
Noah picked the purrfect friend for Travis.
Thank you for the continued prayers. We are a week away from the next MRI. For now we will enjoy "Blackie" and the bear.

1 comment:

  1. Next month, Blackie and the Bear can play with Spikey, Dylan's hospital buddy.

    ReplyDelete