Monday, September 12, 2011

Walking Again (again) and First Week of Pre-K

Travis started Pre-K last week and LOVED it!  The school district houses Pre-K classes at the elementary schools.  The Special Ed Department placed him in the school where he’s going for Pre-K.  It’s a different school than his brothers, but it works out really good since there is a special education Pre-K class next door.  

Travis has an IEP and meetings are usually held before school starts to get things lined up with the school, Special Ed department, teachers, administrators, nurse, etc.  Somehow the ball was dropped in Travis’ case by the district and we (thankfully) had the meeting Friday morning.  Since there were not accommodations/plans in place/on paper for some issues specific to Travis that can only be handled by the Special Ed teachers before the meeting, I stayed in his class each morning to take care of things for Travis, if needed.  I got the call from the school district last Monday evening basically stating that for Travis to be in Pre-K starting Tuesday morning, I would have to be in the room until we have the meeting.  So much for having some “me” time last week while T’s in school.

It was interesting to watch Travis and his classmates though.  He’s doing amazing in class, participates, and gets around his classroom quite well.  Travis decided he wanted to walk again on Monday when we went to The Golden Spike National Historic Site, the site of the Golden Spike where the east and west tracks of the first Transcontinental Railroad met.  He walks around the classroom by himself and participates as though I wasn't there. :)  He did say “Bye Mom” and “Hi Mom” when he went to and from recess.  He wanted to walk to the playground the first day, but decided to ride in his stroller down the hall the past 2 days.  

Travis met with his new physical therapist on Wednesday.  She is very nice and he likes her, very important.  He will see her weekly starting later this month and running through the end of October.  This is different than in Cheyenne since we’ll be traveling to go get his therapy, his PT came to the house in Cheyenne.  We have specific PT homework to do with Travis.  We are stretching his right (good leg) for PT homework and it is going really good, especially considering Travis typically shows me the brunt of his frustration.  Although I know it’s not directed to me personally, it does wear on one’s emotional being over time.  There are days where I’m tired of being strong/brave in front of him when I know he’s having do things that aren’t fun.  Think making him walk when he says his legs hurt, taking him to blood draws/MRIs/places where he knows he will get poked.  He’s having normal reactions to what he’s having to do, but there are times where it’s hard to watch your kid have to endure things that a child his age typically don’t have to.  He’s such a brave kid.  Pardon my kicking/stamping my feet on the ground moment.

Fast forward today...he's at Pre-K and I'm at home (getting ready to go pick him up though).  I'll post more later and pictures, but I'm sure he had a fabulous day.  Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment