Wednesday afternoon Travis received his second injection of Peg-interferon, we move the injection one day later each week until we arrive at our typical injection date. Travis told me he decided that sprinkled donuts would work as his after-shot treat, so I picked one up on Wednesday morning after I dropped him off at school.
Travis held still for the injection, tears filled both our eyes. We gave each other a hug after completing the injection and then he headed to the kitchen to eat his donut. When giving Travis the shot, I try to imagine his skin is the "skin" I practiced with at the NIH and try not to look at his face for the actual shot. We both work on the emotional side of the shot, good thing for me Travis doesn't hold a grudge against those that give him "pokes". Still hard though...
 |
Sprinkled donut after the shot. He ate that much while
I put the injection supplies away. |
Like the week before with the first shot, Travis started feeling pretty crummy ~4 hours after the injection and wanted to go to bed. At that point, Travis experienced a slightly elevated temperature, nothing like what was coming. The time arrived for the next Tylenol dose (~9:45p), good thing since Travis' temperature soared to 104.0F. We gave the Tylenol a little bit of time to work; however, the fever remained high. Then Travis took Ibuprofen and the fever started to decrease an hour later (now ~11:20p). With that high of a temperature, Travis cried out while sleeping, this also happened the week before. I slept with him that night and his temperature also dropped overnight, something else to watch.
 |
T with 104.0F fever, waiting for
Tylenol and Ibuprofen to start reducing the fever |
Travis woke up Thursday morning tired and still feeling the effects from the night before (not a fever at this point), so we kept him home from school. The kids had a day off on Friday, so Thursday was a half day. Thursday morning I called Anne at NIH and Dr. Afify about the high fever to see what suggestions/strategies they could offer regarding the high fever. The new plan includes giving Ibuprofen before the 6 hour mark of the Tylenol, seeing if we can stay ahead of the fever. If this strategy does not work, then the NIH will consider a dose reduction.
Travis still tired out in the afternoon and we observed slight increased temps (less than 100.0F) the next several days. Travis felt really good most of the day on Sunday. :) We consistently hear the first 2-3 weeks are the roughest.
Several asked about the size of the needle and shot info. The box comes with 2 vials, one with sterile water (maroon top) to mix an amount with the powder (red top). We roll the medicine vial and then draw the dosing amount for the injection. The needles are similar to ones that diabetics use for insulin. The box also includes alcohol wipes for the injection site. The NIH also provided us a container to dispose the used needles.
 |
Medicine in powder form (red top), sterile water (maroon top),
and 2 needles |
Several times already with this clinical trial I noticed God's presence. The week we traveled to the NIH, we had good weather for traveling and getting around; last week the D.C. area had a big snow storm. I receive encouraging word emails through K-LOVE radio each day, the 2 emails I received while at the NIH really provided the words of support/encouragement I needed. I began to cry when I read the one for Tuesday...He knew the strength I needed on that Tuesday.
Mon, Feb 24th - T's appointment day and signing consent
"But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God's very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light." ~ 1 Peter 2:9, NLT
Tue, Feb 25th - T's first injection...
"Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." ~Isaiah 41:10, NLT
No comments:
Post a Comment