Monday, May 13, 2013

Unexpected New "Tool"

If I searched high and low across the world, I don't think I could assemble a better medical team for Travis than his current medical team. T had one of his regular physical therapy appointments on Monday. Mark listened to the new findings in Travis' condition and stated we may need to consider a walker for T. He observed Travis for a short amount of time and determined that T would most definitely benefit from a walker. Someone recently donated their walker to Shriners and that worked out wonderfully for us. Travis tried it out during PT and was immediately faster and walked better.

This morning I would not have expected this new "tool" in our bag of useful items for Travis, but you could immediately tell the walker is what is needed at this time. This walker allows T mobility and using the muscles for walking while eliminating some of the pain of walking. I don't know exactly how it works, but it does and it was apparent immediately for all of us, including Travis. We're to borrow the walker for as long as T needs.
T with the walker.
Travis tried it out at Toys R Us today and he did great, especially considering it was his first day ever to use a walker. One of the employees came up to T and asked if he wanted a balloon, T said yes. Very cool.

We are wanting to keep Travis as mobile as he can be and this is one way to help. We're not sure if this will end up being a short- or long-term tool, but it's helping now and that is all that matters. It is another reminder of how fast things can change (ugh); however, we are where we need to be for Travis to see the docs that he needs to be seeing and for that we are extremely thankful to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment