Travis' Rapamycin arrived this afternoon. As I was putting the bottles in the refrigerator, my memories took me back to when he was on the clinical trial. Someways it seems so long ago; yet in that moment, the memory felt like it was just yesterday. Now to the plan...
Dr. Viskochil and I spoke and we figured out most of the logistics with Travis' new medical plan. With the amazing trip to the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona, Disney, Kennedy Space Center, etc next month and Rapamycin being an immunosuppressant, we all felt Travis would be ok to wait to start the medicine upon our return. While we don't anticipate different/unexpected side effects this time, waiting allows us be close to Travis' medical base if any issues arise as T re-starts the medicine. We can enjoy the trip without added concerns of any unforeseen complications of starting a medicine.
Travis' MRI remains on Jan 15th (they didn't have any earlier time slots available for his time requirement anyway). About a week after we return from the trip, T will see Dr. Viskochil and begin taking the rapamycin. From there Travis will have monthly appointments like before, and hopefully like before they will be quick check-ups with no concerns. The blood work to check T's rapamycin level will be done locally this time at our cost, the clinical trial covered that before. We're anticipating less blood draws this time around since we know the dosing when T was removed from the trial. T will also resume Septra to help prevent certain types of pneumonia and other infections.
As 2012 draws to a close, we reflect on our family's events this year. We've endured rough patches and celebrated many times over. We are truly blessed.
I know T will do great! Have fun in Florida!
ReplyDeleteWe love you!
Think you could drop a post card while your gone? Lol! Just kidding! I just know I'm jealous and Sara would be too if I told her. She loves racing and Cars almost as much as T.
If you decided to go again next year, maybe we could join you!