Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Today's Shriners Appointments

Travis' walking has improved little by little the past 2 days and he is walking independently again.  :)  He continues to have some pain/soreness and ibuprofen helps. Travis pretty much stayed in his power chair at school all this week, only getting out a few times and for the earthquake drill this morning. He still isn't quite back to his cheery self, but is getting there.

We met with Travis' orthopedic guy before physical therapy, he examined Travis and watched T walk a little. Based on his exam and observation, he feels pretty confident that Travis pulled/strained a muscle. The plexiform/tumor presents additional considerations for the muscle weakness due to all the muscle infiltration by the tumor. The orthopedic guy showed Travis' x-rays to his colleagues and they all came to the same conclusion of no fracture.  :)  (Sometimes the fractures can be subtle) We will keep our May 1st appointment  and can give him an update of the April 27th MRI results.

After a little break, Travis and I headed to physical therapy. I discussed with the physical therapist and his student what had happened. They did an exam on Travis and came to the same conclusion, probably a pulled/strained muscle (I think they said gastrocnemius muscle). They showed me some stretching and strengthening exercises to do with Travis. No changes to the frequency of PT unless I notice that Travis' walking didn't continue to improve while I'm in Nashville for Children's Tumor Foundation annual Chapter Council and NF Forum.

Thank you for all your prayers, thoughts, and support. While talking with the physical therapist today, it came out that he hasn't seen anyone like Travis before. All kids are unique, some are a little more unique. I'm glad to be able to talk candidly about these things with Travis' medical teams and ask questions. Praise God again for placing us right where we need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment