Wednesday, November 24, 2010

So Much to be Thankful For this Thanksgiving

With Thanksgiving this week, I've been reflecting on all the different areas where we are thankful for Travis' medical care and the series of events God lined up for T and our family.  Looking back on how everything unfolded for Travis, it's easy to see that God had been laying the foundation for our trips to Salt Lake City over 2.5 years ago.

In the spring I was put in touch with Rosemary, an amazing national NF outreach person whose son is affected by NF.  She mentioned that there was a conference in Denver in mid-July that was focusing one day on NF issues.  Thank you again Rosemary!  Since I would be traveling from more than 100 miles from Denver, I was eligible for a travel scholarship that included hotel funding.  Scott was off that weekend, so we didn't need to line up someone to watch the boys.  This was a wonderful 1-day conference with a Q & A session in the afternoon for patients/parents and doctors to speak.  I was able to talk with Dr. Viskochil, pediatric geneticist in Salt Lake City, about Travis' case.  He gave his recommendations for Travis' medical care and said to keep him posted on the results of T's 2nd MRI, we got those results 2 days later.

I had no idea how much much our lives would be changed by that 20-30 minute meeting with Dr. Viskochil.  Although he had only seen Travis' MRI report and printed x-ray images, it was easy to see his genuine interest in Travis on a personal level.  At that time, I had no idea of his vast expertise in NF, I knew he was really good...no idea of phenomenal.  We are able to talk with him about Travis like we are talking with a long-time friend.  I know we have the right doctor for T and his NF issues.  Several docs that my mother-in-law or I have met that are very familiar with NF have commented that Travis is "in excellent hands" when we've mentioned T's seeing Dr. V.

In setting up T's second opinion in Salt Lake City, we asked Dr. V which orthopedists would be the most appropriate for T's bone issues.  He recommended the docs at Shriners, and they are excellent. 

This is where the part of God lining this up over 2.5 years ago comes in.  Thanks Sam!!!  Sam was Nolan's first baseball coach and became a family friend.  We "happened" to see Sam at a local restaurant at the end of July and he asked about T and how he was doing.  We told Sam what we learned from T's July doctor appointments in Denver and that they recommended T get a 2nd opinion in orthopedics.  Sam mentioned that he had a friend in Salt Lake City that is a Shriner.  Sam put us in contact with him and the Shriner has been another wonderful person we've gotten to know along this NF journey.  The first time we were in Salt Lake City we were able to meet up with him and some of his family.  Turns out his wife lived in the same small-town where I went to school.  She was in jr high when I was in high school.  Small world.

We've also gotten to know the genetics research coordinator, Heather H, very well since we enrolled Travis in research studies and the clinical drug trial.  She's a wonderful, knowledgeable person that would have been fun to meet outside this journey.  She speaks highly of the 3 geneticists Travis has seen in Salt Lake City:  Dr. Viskochil, Dr. Stevenson, and Dr. Carey.  When the staff speaks highly of someone/several people, that means something.

I have the same reassuring feeling about Travis' orthopedic doctors in Salt Lake City.  The doctors in Salt Lake City are the example of excellent coordinated medical care and have set the bar high.  We are very thankful for Travis' doctor in Cheyenne and his help along this journey.  His coordination with the SLC docs and research coordinator is instrumental in allowing Travis to participate in the clinical drug trial, we only have to travel to SLC for appointments, the blood work can be done locally. 

Each time we have been in Salt Lake City for medical appointments/exams/tests, I have the comforting feeling that Travis is in the right hands...these are the best people for his specific issues.  I know that God has set up the series of events to lead us to these doctors and that in itself is very inspiring of His presence in every aspect of this journey.  The day Travis had his initial exam for the clinical drug trial, Travis and I met up with a great lady from our church that "happened" to be in Salt Lake City (with her husband) the same time we were there.  We've been in contact with her through the Care & Prayer Ministry team at our church for many months. 

We have been blessed and have so many things to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, we are VERY Thankful. Travis is a very special little guy who brings joy to anyone who sees that amazing smile. Of course, that's Grandma speaking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. When I stop grumbling long enough to take note- it's amazing the small (and large) miracles God has worked in my family's life. Dr. Viskochil is one of the miracles in my boy's life. We should start a fan club or something.

    ReplyDelete